Monday, June 22, 2009

Boston Harbor

Sunday was the Master's State Championship circuit race, simply known as Boston Harbor. Fortunately for me, BH is in Olympia so it is a short 25 min drive- nice. The weather was beautiful-70's and sunny. Cucina was fairly well represented. There were 7 or 8 of us in Masters A/B race-- all of us B's.

The race began at a fairly low pace with a pointless surge or two from time-to-time. It was really on the second lap that things picked-up and the attacks started. I was riding toward the front to be sure to keep an eye out. I chased several attacks I was hoping would stick but to no avail. These failed attempts went on for about 2 laps until, of course, I don't chase and wouldn't you know it, it actually begins to stick. Good news was teammate Andy James was in it. The peloton was aquiver with the normal chatter, "you guys got anyone in the break?" and lots of waiting for someone else to chase. At one point the very hard-working Michael Black (A.K.A., Blackness) came up to me and asked me if I wanted to get up there to them. I said yes and he began pulling me up. Problem was we were not in a ideal location for an attack so we were pulling the peloton up with us so, having a man in the break, we relented.

About another half-lap we saw that our lone Cucina in the break was falling off the back and likely was going to get reeled-in, which he unfortunately did- great effort though Andy. Problem was no one seemed to want to chase save one huge exception- again, Blackness. We had the escapees within our sights for the last 2 laps but, save Blackness, no one would commit to chasing from any team for long enough. With two to go there was one, unfortunately sort-lived concerted effort. Just after the finishing stretch a number of guys punched it, including fellow Cucinas Larry Boyer and Bill Zimmerman, but only lasted about 3 miles and fizzled. On the last lap, I just worked to maintain my position toward the front and watched for another attack. It came right away, again after the finishing stretch when a rider, (huge track guy- don't remember his name), came on me left and I jumped on his wheel. A number of other guys did the same. The pace quickened until the same spot as the lap before. I settled in and saw the same teammates. The pace stayed higher than previous laps but we still were unable to reel in the break-away and everyone knew it once we came within about 2 miles of the finish-stretch. The pace slowed and the jockeying for bunch-sprint position began. As we approached E. Bay road, yet once again, Blackness punched it to string us out coming to the small hill just before the final turn and the 1k sign. It was a thing of beauty. Blackness was able to stay on the front well into the turn after which I got in about 4th position. Several riders came up on my left and once I saw one of the wheels I know would have a strong finish I moved left. Another group of 2 riders came up on our right and we moved behind them. By the time I could see the 200m sign I was 4 or 5th wheel. Brian E. from Garage came up on me left and I thought about getting his wheel until he slowed right beside me. I thought for sure he was setting me up to be blocked in and passed by his teammates on my left. At about the 150m mark pretty much the entire leading group jumped, Brian and I included. I had a small opening to my left so I took it and passed a couple riders. I think I was 3rd or 4th in the pack sprint but first among the B's. There were 4 riders ih break, 2 A's and 2 B's, so I ended up taking 3rd. I am uncertain where others finished but I know LB, BZ, Blackness had good placings.

All in all I would love to have been in the break but sometimes that's just racing. 3rd is not too shabby. 50 BARR points with hopefully more in the weeks to come.

Thanks Cucinas for your willingness to support me and Blackness-Dude, you really know how to be where you need to be-- not to mention your an animal out there and the new Quattro Assi is HOT.

Blessings, ~Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment