Friday, June 12, 2009

Kudos to Specialized and Old Town Bikes



So, a couple weeks ago a good friend Mark came down from Seattle for a visit/ride. Days prior I diagnosed a worn headset on my '05 Tarmac S-Works and ordered a new one. It came in on late on a Friday and I had it installed on a Saturday at Old Town Bikes in Olympia (I do almost all my own wrenching save wheel work and pressed headsets). After the install I asked about a small line that had appeared on the seat-tube/top-tube/seatstays junction (see pic) to which the tech responded, "holy cr*p, your frame is cracked." So, there I was with a new headset in a POS frame. How exciting. Of course I took it home and rode it that weekend followed by a couple phone calls and emails to the shop I purchased it at in Vancouver, BC (The Bike Gallery) and a couple conversations with Jason, Old Town Olympia's store manager. So, even though they were not the original shop the bike was purchased at Old Town graciously offered to handle the warranty claim. The warranty process took about a week and they gave me a new frame. Though my old frame was an S-Works they gave me a Pro SL as a replacement, but I certainly cannot complain. My old frame was fact-7 carbon (Whatever the "H" that means) and my new one is fact-10. It also has a tapered steer-tube 1-1/2 to 1-1/8 and overall feels more comfortable yet stiffer (I will review the bike in the next few days). Overall, I am amazed at the smoothness of the process and very satisfied with Specialized and Old Town Bikes! Thanks guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment