Tuesday, June 16, 2009

D2 custom shoes = happy feet





Nearly two years ago I began feeling a pain in my right foot that, at times, felt like I had a piece of glass stuck in my foot and at other times felt like I was pedaling on a marble--seriously, I would have sworn that if I took my shoe off I would feel a marble in my shoe or under my skin. The sensation would be accompanied by a numbness in my foot that was unlike any I had ever experienced. It was a cold and very painful kind of numbness. Well, being the stubborn man I am I did nothing at first thinking it would go away. After about a month of that I finally went to a podiatrist, Dr. Reeves at Virginia Mason Sports Medicine. He diagnosed a neuroma and started a series of cortisone injections to try and shrink the swelling as well as a bike fit. He also suggested I try a pair of cycling shoes with a larger toe-box. I purchased a set of Shimano R300 heat-moldable shoes and a pair of M300-- the mtb version for 'cross. Between the injections, the bike fit and the shoes I found a ton of relief. However, it was short lived.

About 3 weeks after the series of injections were completed the pain returned. I paid another visit to Dr. Reeves and he prescribed a set of orthotics-- some super thin composite ones. A few weeks I went in to have them fit to my cycling shoes. They helped quite a bit but there was a huge problem. The interface between the orthtic and the shoe was not good. I tried numerous insoles to accompany the orthotic and nothing really worked. I tried putting the orthotic under the insole, on top of the insole. I talked with numerous podiatrists, PT's and even ski boot fitters to try to remedy the problem. Last 'cross season it became clear that something had to give. My foot was doing okay but my orthotics were nearly trash. The leading edge had all but disintegrated as it was being sanded done against the bottom of my shoe-- especially with all the grime of 'cross sandwiched in-between. Now comes the D2 part. I called both of the major custom shoe makers in the US and one in the UK. After talking with Dan and Don at D2 in Eagle, CO and having them explain that a large part of their shoe's development was to remedy the orthotic/shoe interface, just the problem I was having, I decided to go with them. They sent me a fit kit and I was on my way to what I was hoping was to be a set of happy-feet.

The fit kit came and fortunately my father-in-law was in town for a visit. He and I spent about an hour measuring and remeasuring my feet and then about 15 min making impression of my feet in some low density foam they sent. 4 weeks later I had my shoes in hand. My first ride was awkward I have to admit. They felt very strange on my feet. Not so much the uppers but rather the orthotics. D2 requires you ride the new shoes for at least 100 miles before they would make any adjustments. So, I worked my way through about 200 miles thinking they would start feeling more normal. Well, they did not. After about a 20 min conversation with Dan he had me send the orthotics back. A couple weeks later, after a shipping delay (you gotta love USPS) I had a new set in hand. The definitely felt more like the ticked but wait, what is that, hip pain in my left hip??? Another call to Dan and he made yet another set, no cost to me I might add, and viola, no more hip pain.

I wish I could say that me right foot was 100% but it is certainly closer than it has ever been since the injury. I do have some numbness from time-to-time but it does not flare-up into anything worse. (Likely the only thing that can fully remedy my problem is surgery.) The shoes are simply the most comfortable cycling shoe I have ever worn. I guess they should be since they are made specifically to my foot. I am more than happy with D2's customer service. They really went above-and-beyond to help me.

Oh, ya and the cost. Well, take a look at D2's website and you can see for yourself. They really are not that outrageous when you consider a set of off the shelf Sidi's or other high-end shoes are $300-$400 bucks not to mention the $$$$ other bike parts set a person back. I am saving my pennies to have a set of their mtb versions made for 'cross. BTW, the first pic is after 7 months of use. They stay amazingly clean- I think I have wiped them down one time and that was months ago.
~Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment